Saturday, September 28, 2013

FLYING SOUTH

My little brother, Dean, got married early in June in Hawaii, where he has lived for several years.  He married one of his neighbors, Valerie, whom he met a couple of years ago when he moved from Hilo to Pahoa.
 
Most of Valerie's relatives, however, live in Southern California so Dean and Valerie planned a September wedding reception in Escondido for friends and family on the mainland.
 
Since I hadn't seen Dean since last October, and since I hadn't yet met Valerie, I just simply had to go.  I flew down today and their reception will be tomorrow.
 
The invitation.
I arrived at the airport in Medford at about 6:30 a.m. this morning.
While waiting to board the plane, I passed the time by alternating between watching the sunrise and watching my own reflection in the airport window.
The plane leaving Medford was quite small.  I counted 29 total seats.
Waiting for takeoff on a rainy morning.
Takeoff.
Leaving the upper and lower Table Rock mountains behind.
Passing over my house on the way from Medford to San Francisco.
I've always been awed by the majestic sight of clouds beneath me.
Landing in San Francisco on a sunny day for a brief layover before continuing to San Diego.
Arriving in San Diego.
After landing in San Diego, I rented a car and drove to Vista, where I hooked up with Dean and Valerie.  We did some prep for tomorrow's reception with Valerie decorating cupcakes, Dean assembling a cupcake holder, and me tying balloons together.
While Valerie continued working on cupcakes, Dean and I ended the afternoon with a fine dining experience at the world famous Jack-In-The-Box.

1 comment: