Tuesday, May 6, 2014

MEETING ROBERT

A few weeks ago, Debra was reading a blog as I sat next to her on our reclining love seat.  When she finished reading the article, she turned to me and said, "I know who this boy is."  She then asked me to read the article.

This is what I read:

the waiting game

Posted on by Martin Corder
 
"Do you have a mentor?"



I met Robert, when he was in the 2nd grade. He's a great kid, polite, caring, outgoing and likes to help. He comes from a hard situation. His single mom has MS so it's hard to make ends meet. Two of his three sisters have been sexually abused; having to relive it recently during the trial. Robert is now in the 4th grade and been a part of the HATS Club where young kids without mentors meet twice a month. His life and attitude are open, friendly and optimistic despite all his struggles. But soon the hurt he feels will begin to shape his personality and attitude. He will become wary, cynical and hard. I have seen this process many times. I know from experience there's a window of time where Robert will be easily connected to a mentor. In a short time he will shut the door to caring people to avoid being hurt again.

So... each time he sees me he asks; "Clem, do you have a mentor for me?" Each time my heart breaks as I respond "Not yet." One day soon, the question won't come. One day soon Robert will lose hope. One day soon it will hurt too much for him to care.

We need one man to be a friend, mentor and example of Jesus' love to Robert. What about you?
Please call Youth for Christ 541-779-3275.

CLEM O'HARA / YFC (HATS) Mentors Director  /  541.779.3275


Debra has been interested in mentoring as long as I've known her.  She is currently mentoring a little girl who has not yet reached her teen years.  The little girl is one of Robert's three sisters.

After I read the article, Debra asked if I would consider mentoring Robert.  I said "Yes", submitted an application to the mentoring program and attended a mentor/mentee dinner tonight.  Debra and I picked up Robert and his sister from their home and took them to the dinner with us.

I have not yet been approved as a mentor.  My criminal background check has not yet been completed.  But if my running a red light in 1971 does not count against me, I should be okay.


1 comment: