Sunday, July 5, 2015

"239!"

With Pastor Mark out of town this morning, Ron, our youth pastor, delivered an outstanding message.  During his introductory remarks, Ron acknowledged that yesterday was Independence Day and he posed a fairly tough question to the congregation: 

"How many Independence Days has America celebrated?"

After hearing only the first four words of his question, I instinctively knew what the question would be and I immediately blurted out the answer.

"239!"

"Whoa!  Who said that?!", Ron responded.

Ron brought the message this morning in our beautiful outdoor sanctuary.

I didn't realize at the time that Debra was pointing at me from behind my back.  All I knew was that a bunch of people were staring at me after I shouted out the answer. 

They apparently were awe struck.  Amazed.  Baffled at my ability to subtract 1,776 from 2,015 faster than a computer.

My performance, however, has a simple explanation.

My oldest daughter, Bethany, was a bi-centennial baby, born the year of America's 200th birthday.  So, however old Bethany happens to be at any given time, I simply place a "2" in front of her current age and, presto, that's how many Independence Days America has celebrated.




After the service, everybody went home.

This four-day-old little girl, shown here in 1976, was a bi-centennial baby.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the question was going to be something about when"Bethany" was first used as a first name. ;)

    ReplyDelete