Sunday, May 29, 2016

WHEN YOU'RE NOT SURE HOW TO BE A MENTOR

I have been mentoring for over two years now through the Rogue Valley Youth for Christ mentoring program. 

I have no training in how to be a mentor. 

I have no prior experience in mentoring. 

Nevertheless, I am a mentor.

One of my best resources in learning how to mentor has come through Preston, the eleven-year-old boy who has been my mentee since he was nine.  When I don’t know what to do, I ask Preston for suggestions. 

Like yesterday, for example.

Preston and I pursuing Preston's suggestion.

Preston asked if we could do the “Bean Boozled Challenge” with a video camera rolling to capture the event.  This challenge consists of eating jelly beans that come in two different flavors for each color combination.  One flavor in each color is tasty and one is nasty. 

Really nasty.

The box.

You can’t tell the particular flavor by the appearance of the jelly bean.  You can only tell once you place the jelly bean in your mouth and start chomping your jaws.

I had no idea what I was getting into.  

Now, I do.

The jelly beans cannot be judged by their appearance.  They can only be judged by your tongue.


Here is video proof:



No comments:

Post a Comment