Tuesday, December 25, 2012

CHRISTMAS CONTRASTS

This Christmas was different from all other Christmases we have celebrated in the past.  And it was different in more ways than one. 
 
Yet, even though there were some stark contrasts between this Christmas and Christmases long, long ago, it was still very merry and holly jolly and the most wonderful time of the year.  
 
 
This Christmas we were able to look out our front door toward snow capped mountain peaks.  We were also able to look at Ashley's car slightly hidden behind a street lamp adorned with a red Christmas bow.  This has never happened before in Christmases past. 
.
This Christmas we received a grand total of four Christmas cards which, amazingly, is four more than we sent ourselves.
Last Christmas we had twenty people in our home, including eleven grandchildren.  This Christmas we had only three humans under our roof.  Also, last Christmas I wore shoes.
This Christmas Ashley got Debra a beautiful red jacket which Debra had righteously coveted a few months ago.
I'm not sure exactly what I said before taking this picture, but it resulted in a hand on a hip and a whole lot of attitude.
To Bruce from Debra.
I have been wanting to read "Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly for a long time.  Now, because of my sensitive, loving wife, I can.

Coincidentally, we had already purchased, packed and shipped this very same book to Belinda for her Christmas gift this year.  We also got another book, "Killing Kennedy," for Josh.  There's just something about assassinated presidents that makes for wonderful Christmas gifts.
Because she loves me, and because we like to laugh, and possibly because she wanted to make the Weathersby children jealous, Debra also got me a "Rock Show Comedy Tour" DVD set featuring Tim Hawkins, Bob Smiley and John Branyan.
Debra watches Ashley open her gift from us: Some girly stuff.
Debra also got some girly smell good stuff from Ashley, and she tries it out on the back of her left hand.
Ever since I learned how to read books a couple of years ago, I have made repeated trips to Barnes and Noble.  This year Ashley got me a generous gift card to this very store.
Debra watches Ashley open another gift.
Debra opens her gift from me.  She had violated her own convictions this Christmas by feeling and shaking and checking out the wrapped gift, trying to figure out what could possibly be wrapped in a round package.  Ultimately, she had not a clue.
According to her face, she was delighted to find a gift card to a jewelry store.  I opted for a gift card because why buy a gift that she would have to return anyway because I have no sense of what to buy in a jewelry store?
Debra's face continues to show pleasure with the gift she received from her husband.
I even got a kiss out of the deal.
One last Christmas contrast:  This is the very first Christmas in the history of mankind that Bethany and I have not been together on Christmas day.  This is not true of any of my other children or grandchildren. But we got together just two weekends ago, so I think the six-month-old shown here will be just fine.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! The Weathersby children were appropriately jealous when you thought they would be, though they claim to have borrowed that video from someone. I haven't seen it, though, so I'll cover the jealousy for them.

    I'd say our 36 year stretch of Christmases together was good and I'm glad the first year off has been a fun one for everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete