Saturday, February 8, 2014

ESPRESSO IGNORANCE

Every Saturday morning, I meet at a coffee shop with Jeff, my friend and my accountability partner.  We check up on each other by going over a list of questions.  We pray for each other, we encourage each other and we challenge each other to grow as Christian men.
  
We also have coffee together. 
 
 
Jeff and I meet weekly at Noble Coffee.
 
 
I enjoy coffee and today I thought I'd try something different.  After glancing at the posted menu, I ordered an espresso.  I didn't really know how an espresso differed from any other coffee drink, but I was willing to venture out into new territory.
  
They called my name when the drink was ready.  I approached the counter to find a tiny little cup containing a few teaspoons of what appeared to be coffee.  Beside the tiny little cup sat a glass of water.  I was too embarrassed to ask the barista "What am I supposed to do with this?", so I just took the cup and the glass and I returned to my table.
 
One sip from the brown liquid reminded me of the meaning of the word "bitter".  I knew I would not enjoy another sip.  Not knowing proper espresso etiquette, I wondered if the cup of water was meant to dilute the bitterness.  So I poured some of the water into the miniature coffee cup and took another sip.
 
More bitterness. 
 
Jeff and I spent about an hour together and during that time my lips never again touched the bitter beverage. 
 
I returned home and asked Debra if she knew how you're supposed to drink espresso.  She said something like, "I'm not sure, but I think you're supposed to chug it down like a shot of tequila and quickly follow it with a glass of water."
 
Maybe she's right.  But I'm not going to order espresso again.  I'll stay away from tequila, too.
 


Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment