Sunday, January 20, 2013

INTRODUCTION TO SNOWMOBILES

To celebrate our eleventh wedding anniversary, Debra and I tried something totally different this year. We rented a room at Diamond Lake, rented a couple of snowmobiles, and spent three hours traveling through the snow.  

It was the first time either of us had ever been on a snowmobile.  And it's a pretty sure bet that it won't be the last time.



The road to Diamond Lake.
Novice snowmobilers.
Debra started out a bit nervous as the snowmobile rental guy explained how to work the machine.  Once her hands touched the controls, however, the nervousness was miraculously transformed into thrill-seeking exuberance.
I never was nervous, except for a few minutes when I learned that not all powdery snow can support a snowmobile and that, once you're stuck, you're really stuck.
After running my snowmobile off the path and realizing that I needed help, I flagged down the first people to come our way: Two men with three children.  The men had towing straps, adequate muscles, a helpful spirit and, within minutes, my machine was back on track.  
After nearly three hours of wintry bliss, it was time to return our snowmobiles to the rental place.
Debra, who once feared the machine, no longer does.
The afternoon ended with dinner at the lodge.
From our seat, we had a beautiful view of Diamond Lake, now covered with ice and snow and hosting mostly ice fishermen.  A couple of signs caught our attention.
"NO LIFEGUARD ON DUT".
"NO ACTIVITY ON BEACH AFTER 11 PM".   I don't know if that rule applies to ice fishermen who are actually beyond the beach.

Debra was not eager to leave our snowmobiling expedition behind.  

I believe she now wants to purchase two snowmobiles and a trailer for hauling them.  I believe she also wants to sell her car and buy a four-wheel drive SUV to pull the trailer.  And since we now live in a small 55+ community with no storage, I believe she also wants to pay monthly rent on a storage facility for our two new snowmobiles.

She never actually said any of this, but I know how to read body language.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna go!! That looks so fun! I haven't done that since high school (with Christy's fam).

    ReplyDelete